Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scientists Teach Australian Marsupial to Aid in Its Own Survival

Date: April 16, 2010

The poisonous cane toad has been killing the northern quoll population. Scientists have trained the quoll to dislike the taste of the toad so the quoll wont be poisoned. To do this, researchers fed young quolls tiny cane toads that were laced with a chemical that would make them nauseated. However, the small toads would not kill the quoll just give them a bed experience. Over all, the conditioned female quolls lived twice as long as the other females. The conditioned males lived five times longer than the other males.


I chose this article because it is about behavior modification. In chapter five we did a project on behavior modification. For my project I chose increasing my exercise. I was so inspired that I signed my mom and I up for a 60 mile walk for breast cancer. In this experiment I received a reward whenever my goal was met. In the experiment above the quoll didn’t receive a reward. In both experiments a certain behavior was changed.



No comments: